Few months (July 2015) back when I decided to have my own website, few questions were raised in my mind though I was assure to Build website using WordPress.
- How to Build website using WordPress or any other : Being a student of computer engineering and web enthusiast, it wasn’t the difficult one.
- Should I go with WordPress or not : Before making any judgment I read a lot about pros and cons about most used platforms available and finally choose WordPress.
- For what website to be : Tried to get more ideas about “what contents to included” on Internet and made a list of topics, though it was initial draft, later I included few more.
Once I made website the questions which were repeated several times were “Which platform?”, ” How to build website in WordPress ?” and so on. Let me try to justify questions.
Before you start worrying about color schemes and domain names, you’ve got to decide what platform you’re going to build your website with. There are numerous website building platforms available in market that can be used.
I still remember when started with web in 2008, it was quite difficult to build a website from scratch, people who doesn’t belong to Information Technology field still think that way. They must be wondering website building is tough thing, have to write lines of code but now writing lengthy code is history. You can build website with little or no coding. Here come platform for building website, we call it CRM (Content Management Systems ). In layman term a CRM is website building tool that allow you to create website with some or without coding at all. In our example we’ll be focusing on the most used CRM WordPress.
Have a look at most used CRMs in 2016. Wow! half of the websites are in WordPress platform. I must tap on my back for choosing the right platform 😉 .
Here are list of advantages of WordPress which I copied from Internet 😀 .
- FREE : Everyone loves the word “Free” 🙂
- Website size is no problem
- Mobile and tablet friendly
- Support from community
More advantages of WordPress here.
Talking about other platform, where they are standing in contrast to WordPress
Drupal is a very powerful platform that is popular with web developers and experienced coders, but it comes with a very steep learning curve that makes it a bad choice for beginners.
Joomla is similar to WordPress and works great for online stores, but you’ll need at least a little bit of technical coding to make it work the way you want.
Next Step: Domain name and Web hosting provider
Domain Name is a web address like google.com or facebook.com. It’s totally up to you to select an available web address. It can be anything like, yourname.com, yourpassion .com, etc.com.
A web hosting provider links you website with Internet. Basically provides a way to other people to reach to you. They would cost you some money.
Now you must be wondering that WordPress is FREE, yes! you are right it is absolutely free but web hosting provider will charge for domain name and hosting. There is an option when you can always choose the free WordPress domain, but it is always good to have ‘yourname.com’ than having ‘youname.someone.com’
Plus, having your own hosting will also make sure your website loads quickly and won’t go down for hours at a time (pretty important for everyone who visits your pages.)
Where can you get a domain name and hosting
There are numerous web hosting websites available on Internet, BlueHost, GoDaddy , Arvixe and so on. I’ll be demonstrating this example in GoDaddy. The website you are seeing is hosted on GoDaddy itself. Follow the steps to buy domain:
- Select a plan from available list
- Put your domain name and check its availability. Domain names usually end with .com, .org or .net, but in recent months, a huge amount of domain extensions (the end part of the web address, like .com) have come out, ranging from .agency to .pizza. My best advice? Avoid the weird extensions and go with .com, .net or .org unless they perfectly describe what you have to offer
- Add and Continue.
- Add or remove item from/to cart and good to go.
- Signup if don’t have account or just login and make payment.
Now hoping that you have bought your domain name, let’s move to next step.
Final Step: Build website using WordPress
First thing first is to install WordPress to recently bought domain. There are couple of ways to install. One is much easier than other. One Click Installation : Almost every hosting company provides this integrated feature. Look for one click WordPress installation in your control panel.
- Log in to your hosting account.
- Go to your control panel.
- Look for the “WordPress” icon.
- Choose the domain (If you have multiple purchases) where you want to install your website.
- Click the “Install Now” button and you should get access to your NEW WordPress website.
Second method is to install WordPress is manual. It’s not as easy as one click installation.
Choosing a template and customizing it according your requirements
Once you have successfully installed WordPress to your domain, you’ll see a very basic yet clean site. But you don’t want to look like everyone else, do you? That’s why you need a theme – a design template that tells WordPress how your website should look.
There are thousands of slick web templates available to choose from. Also these themes are highly customization friendly. From logo to almost entire website can be customized. To customize your website:
- Login to your website (URL would be something: www.yourwebsitename.com/wp-login).
- It would look following
- Admin Homepage is quite easy to go through. It would not take more then couple of hours to totally understand and may be within a day you’ll be use to WordPress. Adding new content (Pages or Post) or editing them is quite easy task. WordPress also comes up with tons of plugin option for you. Everything is plain English statements.
That’s all!! Your website is up and running. Go on promoting! Keep updating with new contents. Hope this would have cleared you hesitancy about How to Build website using WordPress.